Thursday, February 10, 2011

suicide pact

A day passes in hours marked by my crying.  I cannot sleep and stay awake all night crying and looking at my son's blanket, beanie and photos.  I smell the blanket and beanie hoping it smells like my baby, but it only smells like the hospital.  Will seems ok but I know he is hurting.  Little did I know how much.
     The day after that I stay in bed sobbing and my husband comes in and lays down to hold me.  He tells me he does not want to live.  I am floored, he seems so strong.  He handled everything when I could not.  I look at his face expecting to see a man who just said those words to express his pain.  I see determination to make it happen and I know instantly he is serious.  I start crying harder and harder.  Suddenly it seems I am losing the only person who can even fathom the depth of the pain.  It is a selfish thought.  I will be left alone suffering the loss of my child and my husband.  I am terrified too.  Will owns a pistol and it would be very easy to use it right now.  We both lay there, me crying and he immersed in his pain.  As soon as I can speak I get angry at him and tell him he is NOT leaving me alone to deal with all this.  I told him, if he goes he has to promise to kill me first.  I cannot suffer this without him.  He is the only thing that gives me even a tiny bit of solace.  He remains silent and I keep begging him to take me with him.  He doesn't say anything at all, but I feel his acceptance.  He just cannot express it. 
     To this day I do not know how close he came.  It is a wound I do not want to open.  Maybe some day when we are old he will tell me.  Until then I respect his wish to not discuss it.  I don't think any man wants to talk about their weakness. 
   Later that day we are still in bed, unwilling to face anything or anyone.  A thought pops into my head and I tell my husband that maybe we should seek counselling.  Maybe a professional can give us some good reason not to blow our brains out.

No comments:

Post a Comment